Painting mechanical keyboard keycaps is a great and exciting adventure for users. But as a beginner, many people make small mistakes that ruin their experience and cause damage to their keyboards.
As you can customize your keyboard keycaps, it’s essential to know every bit related to this process. That’s why we are writing this article to give a detailed guide to everyone who wishes to paint their keycaps. So, keep reading this article to learn how to paint the keycaps of a mechanical keyboard.
How To Paint Keycaps Of A Mechanical Keyboard
You can use several methods like spray painting, pen painting, or acrylic painting, but all need proper instructions to be followed. But before going directly toward the topic, let’s discuss why you need to paint your keycaps and what things you should keep in mind.
Why Do You Need To Paint The Keycaps Of The Keyboard?
Painting the keycaps of your keyboard can add a personal touch and make it stand out from the rest. Here are eight reasons why you need to consider painting your keycaps:
- Personalization: Painting your keycaps allows you to make your keyboard truly your own. You can choose colors and designs that reflect your personality and style.
- Color Coordination: Painting your keycaps can also help match your keyboard to other devices. If you have a color-coordinated setup, painting your keycaps can make your keyboard blend seamlessly.
- Custom Logos and Designs: Painting your keycaps allows you to add custom logos and designs to your keyboard. Thus this can be a great way to showcase your brand or personal logo.
- Unique Look: Painting your keycaps can give your keyboard a one-of-a-kind look that will make it stand out. Whether you choose a bold, bright color or a subtle, subdued design, painting your keycaps is a great way to express your individuality.
- Key Differentiation: You can also use different colors on your keycaps to differentiate between your functional and alphabetic keys. This can help to make typing easier and more accurate. For example, you could use a glossy finish for your alphabetic keys and a matte finish for your function keys.
- Smoother Typing: Some paints and finishes can provide a smoother, more satisfying typing experience. For example, textured or matte finishes can help to improve grip and reduce slipperiness, making typing feel more comfortable.
- Improved Feel: By painting your keycaps, you can also improve the overall feel of your keyboard. This can be especially beneficial if you type frequently or for long periods of time.
- Protect From Wear And Tear: Another benefit of painting keycaps is that they can help protect the keys from wear and tear. And this is especially important if you use your keyboard frequently or if it’s exposed to dust and other environmental factors. By painting the keycaps, you can help prolong the life of your keyboard and keep it looking new.
Painting your keycaps is a fun and easy way to customize your keyboard and make it truly your own. With the many different options available, you’re sure to find a look that you’ll love.
Is It Possible To Paint Mechanical Keyboard Keycaps?
Yes, it is possible, and after painting your mechanical keyboard keycaps, you will see how amazing your device will look. But remember, you have to properly research and find the right product means paint for your keycaps.
Not only the color but you have to check other things also like
- Is the paint can damage your keyboard?
- Is it suitable to use with electrical appliances?
- Does it compatible with plastic?
- Is it the best in quality and can’t fall off after using the keycaps while typing and other works?
What Materials Do You Need To Paint Mechanical Keyboard Keycaps?
Painting keycaps with acrylic paint is the favorite of most computer users related to different fields. The reason is it can easily adhere to the plastic of keycaps and will not slide off. But the user needs a primer with acrylic paint.
As the keyboard surface is not even, the result can be harmful if you use just the paint. So, to keep yourself from falling into such a situation, first prime the surface and then apply the coat of paint color one by one.
A primer is also essential because it not only makes the acrylic paint stick better but also it protects the keyboard switches and other parts from paint. Choose a long-lasting, easy-to-dry, and best-quality primer that is also compatible with acrylic paint.
Precautions While Painting Keyboard Keys
As a general precaution, remember all the points you should remember while painting any electronic equipment like
- Turn off your keyboard and unplug it from your PC.
- Perform the task in a safe place and remove all other PC equipment from the place.
- Remove the keycaps before the task. Don’t try to paint as you like; do it the right way, as mentioned above; otherwise, you will see the following damage.
Precautions are necessary to keep the PCB of a keyboard safe. As the motherboard is the soul of a computer, the PCB is similar to the keyboard, and if the paint or a tiny amount of it can make its way to the soldering or PCB, then nothing can protect your keyboard from damage.
You can also avoid damage and get good results if you separate the keycaps from the keyboard before painting. But keep in mind the correct position of each keycap, as the paint can hide the letters, words, and numbers.
Moreover, don’t think one coat of paint on keycaps is enough. Whether you are painting keycaps or the overall keyboard, several coats are necessary to get an even finish.
These are the ultimate way to save your keyboard and money; otherwise, the loss will make a win.
How To Paint Keyboard Keys – 4 Best Ways
There are several ways to paint keyboard keycaps, but for every try, you have to be careful in case of the proper instructions. So let’s check the best four ways.
Painting Keyboard Keys With Brush
If you are painting the keycaps without detaching them from the keyboard, you need a lot of care. Moreover, it also demands that you are professional in painting, so no mess creates.
However, if you want to use a brush, then the best way is
- Take off the keycaps from the keyboard.
- Clean them by using soap and water so that all the grease and dirt will be removed.
- Put the paint’s thin layer on them by using a brush.
- Let them dry, and then reattach the keycaps.
Painting Keyboard Keys With Spray Paint
Purchase spray paint, read the manufacturers’ instructions from the bottle, and do the process accordingly.
- Take off the keycaps from the keyboard.
- Take a drop cloth or sheet of newspaper and place keycaps on it.
- Shake the can and hold it about 30cm away (the distance may vary according to instructions) from the keycaps and start spraying.
- Apply a thin but even layer of paint; the best thing will be if you know about the art of spraying.
- Let the keycaps dry, and then reattach them to the keyboard carefully.
Painting Keyboard Keys With Paint Pens
If you are using paint pens, then the process needs a little more care.
- First, remove the keycaps from the keyboard.
- Clean them so that all the grease and dirt will be removed; otherwise, the paint will not stick and then fall off.
- Use tape to cover the areas of a keyboard you don’t want to paint. (If you don’t remove the keycaps.) But cover the edges and other parts of the keycap so that the paint will not stick to the edges and cause problems during the reattachment time.
- Careful while applying the paint coats, don’t apply too much as it drips and runs down and creates a mess around the sides of the keycap.
- Wait before reattaching the keycaps for the time given in the instructions, whether a few hours or 24 hours.
Recommended: How To Screenshot On Logitech Keyboard
We hope our guide on how to paint the keycaps of a mechanical keyboard will help you in your next painting session. Paint them according to your preferences or ideas, and enjoy your working and gaming experience.